My time as a printer at VGKids probably came into play on this piece. I built up the green mother-board background pattern through layers of ink and acrylic washes before stenciling the labyrinth of reflective silver figures. I knew the result would depend on several interlocking process, and documented the different stages of development. Loosely based on the pages of the kama sutra, these robots find a variety of ways to express their physical affections.
10 inch square, 1.75″ deep
acrylic, ink, and spray paint on reclaimed hand-made wood box frame with a protective gloss varnish.
The box-framed surface and underpainting had probably sat in the studio for about a year before finding it’s way back to the easel; as the annual “robot-love” exhibit at good: a gallery was around the corner. I began skething robots as blocky iconic couples, as a skyline, as lovers, composing different positions in illustrator and organizing them into the square.
When I got to a composition I liked, I printed out two copies the size of the physical surface. One print was cut for the silver of the robot bodies and registered to the painting.
Using a light coat of contact adhesive on the back of the stencil, I laid down silver spraypaint.
On the second print I drew out the line work in a way that made the robots positions readable, trapped the silver border, and kept the stencil intact.
Feeling like the painting was complete I masked of the surface to spray the sides white, and wired the frame. I wanted it to feel somewhat like an abstract pattern, or data circiutry, but there was no escaping it, at least one of the couples needed some color and detail.
One last stencil for the lucky couple! After the spray paint there were a few rounds of acrylic and tiny, tiny brushes, to add the eyes, hinges, and of course the necassary torso display panel